School: Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
The Biodesign Lab at Harvard University seeks a talented and creative Research Fellow to contribute to the design, fabrication and testing of structured, functional textiles for wearable robotic applications. Working closely with the Lab Faculty, the ideal candidate will have the following responsibilities:
- Follow, create, modify and contribute to new concepts and patterns that improve and optimize form, function, fit, comfort, style, sizing, and testing requirements.
- Communicate apparel concepts by draping, hand drafting, digitizing, technical sketching and prototyping.
- Cut and sew first prototypes and duplicate existing prototypes with high workmanship, timely execution, and hard deadlines.
- Prototype and create sample constructions using an industrial single needle sewing machine, industrial walking foot machines, combined overlock and cover stitch machines.
- Documentation to track changes over multiple prototype iterations, via technical drawings in Illustrator and InDesign as well as physical samples.
- Observe, collect, and document quantitative and qualitative feedback during performance testing to identify necessary metrics to measure and optimize various system parameters against functional requirements.
- Consolidate and present data such as, fit and comfort responses from all subjects tested, suit drift, and suit alignment, clearly and concisely to a multi-disciplinary team.
Completed or soon to complete a BA/BS Degree in apparel design, textiles, industrial design or similar field.
The ability to work well in a multi-disciplinary team environment and without supervision.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Excellent time management and attention to detail.
Ability to work on-site in Allston, MA for one year with the possibility of extending based on performance.
Prior experience working on technically sophisticated apparel projects, fabrication of medical braces/orthotics, or wearable technology is a plus.
Prior experience with Adobe Creative Suite and CAD Pattern software such as Optitex/Gerber.
Frehiwot (Frey) Tesfaye
Contact Email: email@example.com
Interested candidates please send a cover letter, resume and portfolio/work samples to this application. SEAS is dedicated to building a diverse and welcoming community, and we strongly encourage applications from historically underrepresented groups.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Harvard is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, age, protected veteran status, disability, genetic information, military service, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or other protected status.
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. The University, which is based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, has an enrollment of over 20,000 degree candidates, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Harvard has more than 360,000 alumni around the world. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, offering a truly global education. Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States.